Return to Mind Map Gallery
Fleetwood Mac Dreams
Fleetwood Mac Dreams
Texture & Timbre
- 3/4 Time signature
- 124 BPM
- G Key
- There are only two main chords to the
song and the instruments shift between
these chords throughout with some
instruments like the bass guitar altering
the flow slightly.
- F and G in broken chord
- Electric guitar changes
to Am G6 for the chorus
- Lead Melody is held by the Piano carrying
on throughout playing the broken chords
- Stevie Nicks applies vocals to the track and
holds the melody when singing
- Even though the song is a pop song its
quite haunting at some points with
Stevie's overlapping vocals.
- However there are quite a few
parts to the song so it doesn't
get too boring to repeat.
- The song doesn't change speed but
over the span of the song there are
more instruments and layers of vocals
- Instruments used:
- The pre chorus is brightened by the addition of a
vibraphone and conga drums. These are barely
noticeable but add to the overall effect.
- The song is very smooth and haunting
before it hits a lively chorus while in keeping
with its deep and mellow vibe.
- The drums have these tapping
hi-hats that carry on without fail
through the entirety of the song.
- The track is fully polyphonic with always being
slightly full of sound and layers with multiple
instruments and vocals in the key parts of the
- The hi-hats have a phaser on them to make
a more "wooshy" sound
- This gives them a more hypnotic sound.
Adding to the dream theme.
- Many of these instruments were pushed
down and made more bass so that the high
frequency hi-hats and vocals stood out
among the low tones.
- The other thing that sticks out is the whining
- The lyrics were written by Stevie Nicks
- After her break-up with
- She had to perform this song with him
- Due to its success they had to
relive their relationship ending
on stage for the next 40 years
- Layered Vocals
- Stevie tells Lindsey to be free from her and
stop blaming her for him being held back
"You say you want your freedom"
- Lindseys guitar weeps in the background
and he gets told to listen to the sound of
loneliness and what thats telling him
"Only right you should play the way
you feel it"
- This line is in reference to the pounding kick
drum that continues through the song
acting like a heartbeat carrying on and on.
"Like a heartbeat drives you mad"
- In this case that consistent heartbeat is just a
constant reminder of the love that he lost,
driving him mad.
"What you had and what you lost and what
you had and what you lost"